Savings Bank of Walpole has a long and distinguished history serving the people of New Hampshire and Vermont.
We believe it is truly a privilege to be an integral part of our community -- just as we have been since 1875, and will continue to be for the next century and beyond. As a mutual bank, we have no shareholders. This allows our focus to remain on our local community, on our own employees, and most importantly, on our customers.
A brief overview of some historical milestones:
- Chartered in State of NH and open for business as Savings Bank of Walpole
- Westminster Street Branch in Walpole opens
- The only bank in Cheshire County to survive "The Panic of 1896"
- Titanic sinks
- Federal Reserve System is born
- Stock market crashes - the beginning of the Great Depression
- Total Assets $1,461,000
- Total Assets $15,029,432
- Savings Bank of Walpole celebrates 100th Anniversary
- First ATM "The Walpole 24 Hour Banker - A Money Machine" installed at Walpole branch
- IGA in Walpole partners with SBW, becomes first grocery store in NH to offer a bank card
- Grand Opening of North Meadow Plaza branch in Walpole
- Riverside Plaza, Keene branch opens
- www.walpolebank.com goes live on the "World Wide Web"
- Bank-By-Phone introduced
- New branch opens on West Street, Keene (Riverside Plaza branch closes)
- Internet Banking launched
- Marlboro Street, Keene branch opens
- Start of the housing collapse and recession
- US Government launches TARP (Troubled Asset Relief Program) - not needed at SBW due to excellent credit quality
- Total Assets $361,000,000 -- the only bank still headquartered in Cheshire County
- New branch opens at 817 Court St, Keene
- Savings Bank of Walpole’s Board and Corporators vote overwhelmingly to affiliate with New Hampshire Mutual Bancorp (NHMB) -- a mutual holding company and a steward of local, community-based mutual banking in New Hampshire. For the purpose of affiliating with NHMB, the Bank reorganizes into a mutual holding company structure, and creates a newly chartered subsidiary to continue as successor to the original Savings Bank of Walpole (originally chartered in 1875).
- Total Assets $400,000,000—Same bank name, same people, same local values...greater strength.
SBW Westminster Branch3>
April 19, 1915